Monday, December 16, 2013

Fighting my Age (Prejudices)

Fighting my Age (Prejudices)

My entire life I have felt like I have had to fight my age. Growing up I took an avid interest in politics at an early age. I also have had many of the thoughts I am sharing since I was young as well, but no matter how hard I try to prove myself or how well I may stand my ground in any discussion or debate, I have always been discredited. I was foolish enough to believe that would change with middle school, then becoming a teenager, then highschool, then becoming a legal adult as I am now. I refuse to allow myself the opportunity to make a fool of me again as I prepare to be discredited not only for my college years, but my whole life. I realize that people will make any excuse possible to discredit me, as they will with you, but the trick is to fight through that. It doesn't matter if they dismiss me, if I persist on my thoughts, eventually they will be heard, and I believe that to be true with any prejudice. It's funny though, many times the ones dismissing will claim to be fighting prejudices of their own. We must be sure to steer clear of that. I understand that many, in fact all, people you will encounter in life have had some type of rough experiences or pain caused on them and we must sympathize with that, but we can't allow for our past wrongs to dictate our present and mistreat others in some attempt for vengeance all those years ago. All it leads to is hypocrisy and even further division.

No comments:

Post a Comment