Monday, December 16, 2013

Death (again)

Death

I went with my youth group to Student Life one year and heard Afshin Ziafat speak. One of his messages included the story of BJ Higgins, a boy who was on fire for God and died at 15 on a mission trip, but through his death, many came to Christ and churches around Africa sprang up. Talking with a friend of mine about BJ, she told me that it sounded as if Afshin was saying that God caused BJ's death, to which I assured her that I'm sure he simply meant that God can use any bad circumstance for the greater good, but it got me thinking. What is so blasphemous with saying that God caused his death? A friend of mine named Aaron told me the story of a youth minister who prayed that if his death would cause a revival in the youth, that he was willing to go. That night he died in a car wreck and his best friend wrote the song "How He Loves Us" the next day about his death. So again I ask, why is it so blasphemous to say God took his life? If I am to truly say I give God my entire life, part of my life is my death, so I then concede to him my death as well. If through my death more people will come to know Him, then it would be the right thing for me to die. I thought about this revelation and it scared me, because I realized that I never actually gave God my entire life, because I wasn't ready to die. I rationed it out that it would devastate my family (I encourage you to read 2 Samuel 12:15-23), or that I wanted to experience college first, but it was all excuses. We have to focus on what truly matters. I finally came to actually giving God my entire life and it was quite a sobering feeling, to know that you can die at any instant, but it's tranquil as well. I am more than ready to shed this mortal coil (to borrow from Shakespeare) if that means the further advancement of the Kingdom. I have nothing to lose, but everything to gain. In response to all the tragic shootings that have occurred, Vince Gill wrote a song called "Threaten Me With Heaven" where he says that the worst that these shooters can do is just send him to heaven. What a simple yet profound statement. If the presence of God is what waits for us after this life, why not want to leave here? With that I leave you with the words of Paul in Philippians 1:20-26, notice here that he realizes that wether through death or life, whichever is more necessary he is convinced will occur: "I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment