Monday, December 5, 2016

Empathy in the Face of Opposition

You didn't ask, but here's my two cents on what's wrong with our country, and really even the world:

Not to call anyone out, but multiple people have said that living in Austin has changed me. The implication being that my being around those that don't think like they do has corrupted my ideology. A couple things to respond with: 1. I'm insulted to think that I could be manipulated or fooled into an inferior position. 2. Since when did we become so fearful of opposition? Why do we demonize those that think differently from us?

Growing up, I've had the privilege to make genuine and deep friendships with people of different political leaning, race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, economic status, religion, etc. and have had real dialogue on these matters with them. Sure, my views have sometimes changed as a result (same goes for them) but it's because I've gotten a better understanding on not just how I and like-minded people view an issue, but on how others do as well. 

What I've learned is empathy, I start to understand what drives people to think the way they do and I'm able to better put myself in their shoes and consider how things might affect them. And I'll tell you, it makes it a hell of a lot harder to fear or hate others when you do so. What I see in this world is a lack of empathy for our fellow man. We stereotype those we aren't affiliated with and set up straw men arguments for them in their place. and I'd hate for this to come off as a "holier than thou" or "I've got it all figured out" post, because I don't have it all figured out, but I know the right first step to make and I try to take it each day. 

You know, my freshman year here at UT I had a Kurdish friend whose family was forced to relocate just outside of Paris due to the Kurdish-Turkish Conflict. He told me that Islamophobia was so rampant in France that Muslims were forced into segregation and treated as second class citizens. He said this was breeding domestic extremism there and that he wouldn't be surprised if a terrorist attack occurred in that area within the next three years. We all remembered what happened last November in Paris. Now obviously I don't condone their actions in any way, but you start to see the extremes people will go to when you force them into a corner. 

Hate breeds only hate. And I fear for this country, not from outside threats or immigrants, but from the hate and divisiveness we are breeding here at home. The call for banning Muslims, the mistreatment of injustices towards blacks and other minorities, while we only continue to blame the victim and attempt to suppress their voice. Even politically, complete division in congress and the vilification of other parties' members. If you're a Republican, Democrats aren't out to destroy this country; if you're a Democrat, Republicans aren't hellbent on screwing over the middle and lower class. 

If you really think Muslims want to destroy America, maybe ask some Muslims for their perspective and why that is. If you really believe Black Lives Matters insinuates that other lives don't and that black people aren't mistreated in this country, maybe ask some black people why they think they are and what forms of racism have they experienced in their lives. If you really think that another political ideology wants to destroy this country or neglect the poor, maybe ask them why that is. 

All I ask is that we begin to dialogue with those who think differently than us and try to understand their logic. Don't dismiss their thoughts and feelings, just listen. Maybe then we can stop fearing and hating each other and start to genuinely care about each other's needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment